The serial RGB matrix is an easy-to-use display module I developed with 8×8 RGB LED pixels and I2C interface. An Arduino library was developed for simplify its usage. The library was recently updated and improved. By including a single header file, you can use control the display module with very simple code.
The library source code is hosted on SF.net. There are 2 classes defined in the library, CFrameBuffer and CRGBMatrixI2C.
CFrameBuffer is used to manipulate a 8×8 24-bit frame buffer inside Arduino’s SRAM. If you want to generate a bitmap and display it at once on the display module, you can use CFrameBuffer to change and store pixel. It has following methods:
- SetPixel(x, y, r, g, b) – change color of pixel(x,y) to color (r,g,b)
- ClearPixel(x, y) – clear pixel(x,y)
- Clear() – clear all pixels
CRGBMatrixI2C is used to control and render the content on the display module. It has following methods:
- Init(addr) – initialize the module at the given I2C address
- SetFrame(frame) – display frame stored in a CFrameBuffer object
- SetPixel(x, y, r, g, b) – change color of pixel(x,y) to color (r,g,b) of the display module
- ShowChar5x7(c, off_x, off_y, r, g, b) – display a 5×7 character in color (r,g,b) with offsets
- ShowDigit3x5(n, off_x, off_y, r, g, b) – display a 3×5 digit in color (r,g,b) with offsets
- ShowDigit3x7(n, off_x, off_y, r, g, b) – display a 3×7 digit in color (r,g,b) with offsets
- Draw()– inform the display module to redraw with the changed content
- Clear() – clear all pixels on display module (no need to call Draw)
For example using the library, please refer to this page.
- 8×8 RGB LED matrix module with I2C and serial interface
- Arduino library and sample code
- Size: 60x60x15mm
- Weight: 30g
* World-wide shipping will normally take about 7~10 days depending on your location.